Membership in the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team is very rewarding. It provides you the opportunity to ride, train and race with other riders who share the same commitment to excel in a local organization and in regional cycling events. In addition to camaraderie of the team atmosphere, membership with the team provides access to a wide variety of sponsor discounts and other benefits.
Not a current member? Before starting the application process, please consider that ABRT is a RACING team and not a bicycle club. Each application will be reviewed on an individual basis. Please read below about our new approval process.
To be considered for new and continuing membership on the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team, each member is obligated to work (3) three events (the exception is opting for Non-Volunteering Membership). In order to take advantage of the benefits of the team, a member must be in good standing. If a member is not found to be in good standing they may be required to pay the difference in the previous years Non-Volunteering Membership and membership fee paid. Failure to meet volunteer requirements could result in the forfeit of race reimbursements (up to the cost of a Non-Volunteering Membership), expulsion from the team, or pay the Non-Volunteering Membership Fee the following year for future membership consideration. You cannot be a member in another team or club.
To be considered for a membership if you were not a prior member:
1. Require a reference by a current ABRT member after participating in no less than 3 team rides. Our website lists rides/times/locations where you can come and meet our team. After review, a team member may then sponsor you for consideration of membership to our Membership Director. This is the perfect way to get involved if you are new to racing.
2. A current USAC racing license.
3. A race resume, (not required if you're new to racing). Fwd with referral to: firstname.lastname@example.org
** Juniors are always welcome to join the team without the above requirements but will be directed to the Junior Team Captain for more information on their specific programs.
Terms of Membership and Code of Conduct
Team Terms of Membership and Code of Conduct
In consideration of accepting application for membership and being permitted to participate in any activities of the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team, you need to review and agree to the following:
1. I acknowledge that as a member of the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team, I will race exclusively for ABRT and at all times knowingly represent the team, the sponsors, and the sport of cycling in a professional manner. Therefore, I must maintain a presentable appearance, operate a mechanically safe bicycle and wear a helmet at all times. I will also represent our sponsors (including, but not limited to, East Bay Media or Parvilla) in a responsible, law-abiding, respectful manner during training, racing and any other team-related activities. Failure to do so will result in: 1) A warning for first offense, 2) $100 fine for second offense, 3) Expulsion/suspension from the Team. Insubordination to a Team Captain, Director, Board Member or Sponsor will result in immediate dismissal from the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team.
2. I will forward any of my top 10 racing results to my designated Team Captain within 2 days of the official results being posted. I understand that I must race in a 2012 ABRT team kit at all USAC and team events.
3. I acknowledge that the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team supports a “drug free” policy. Use of illegal performance enhancing (WADA, USAC lists) and controlled recreational substances are forbidden and will result in immediate dismissal, forfeit of reimbursements and return of any Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team sponsorship products.
4. I acknowledge, agree and represent that I understand the nature of bicycling activities/ training rides/races and that I am qualified, in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in such activities. I further acknowledge that certain activities will be conducted over roadways and facilities open to the public during the activities, upon which the hazards of traveling are to be expected.
5. I fully understand that (a) bicycling activities/rides/races involve risks and dangers of serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis and death ("RISKS"); (b) these risks and dangers may be caused by my own actions, or inactions, the actions or inactions of others participating in the activity, the condition in which the activity takes place, or the negligence of the ("RELEASEES") named below; (c) there may be other risks and social and economic losses either not known to me or not readily foreseeable at this time; and I fully accept and assume all such risks and all responsibility for losses, costs and damages I incur as a result on my participation in the activities of the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team.
6. I hereby release, discharge and covenant not to sue the Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team, their administrators, directors, agents, officers, volunteers, and employees, other participants, and sponsors, advertisers, and, if applicable, owners and lessors of premises on which activities/rides/races take place, (each considered one of the RELEASEES herein) from all liability, claims, demands, losses, or damages on my account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the RELEASEES or otherwise, including negligent rescue operations; and I/we further agree that if, despite this RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK, AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT I/we, or anyone on my/our behalf, makes a claim against any of the RELEASEES, I/we will indemnify, save, and hold harmless each of the RELEASEES from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost which any may incur as the result of such claim. I/we have read this agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that I/we have given up substantial rights by signing it and have signed it freely and without any inducement or assurance of any nature and intend it to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law and agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect